Building work on the church began in 1732, using money raised in alms in honour of a series of miracles believed to have been performed by Jesus Christ.
The interior of the building was completed after 18 years, with only the outer towers and upper galilee bars remaining to be completed on the exterior, which was then finished in the late nineteenth century by architect Ernesto Korrodi.
For many years, pilgrims flocked here in their thousands, making this a popular pilgrimage site.
Nowadays, the Lord Jesus of Miracles celebration takes place on the second weekend of September and is very famous for its procession, which attracts thousands of people from all over the country.
> Rua Cónego Amílcar, 125, Milagres
> GPS: 39º47’23.43 N | 8º47’40.96 W
> How To Get There: http://bit.ly/1pFRMi0
> Every day: 9:00am – 7:00pm
> Phone no.: 244 851 035