The Lis river springs from Fontes (Cortes) and is the true soul of this region, an inspiration to countless poets.
Because this is a farming area watered by the river, the most famous symbol of Cortes is the waterwheel and it even appears in the local coat of arms.
With a landscape composed mainly of vineyards, orchards and pinewoods, Cortes, “legend has it” owes its name to being the place where, in 1245, the first courts took place, summoned by Alphonso III, in which noblemen, clergy ant also the people participated.
The feast celebrating this region’s patron saint, Nossa Senhora da Gaiola, happens every year on the first Sunday of May.
Cortes has many excellent restaurants where you can taste the region’s cuisine. It includes all kinds of dishes like lentriscas (pork belly), morcela de arroz (black rice pudding), negritos (spiced pork sausage), bacalhoada com migas (codfish with bread porridge) and the famous pastries made with eggs, the brisas do Lis (egg yolk pudding) or almond pastries.
– Natural viewpoint of Our Lady of the Hill (Senhora do Monte)
– Serra da Senhora do Monte (Senhora do Monte)
– Lis River Springs
– Grota Spring (elevation 400 m)
– Figueiras Spring, the biggest one
– Archeological Heritage
– Quinta do Cónego Palaeolithic site (Cortes, Leiria)
– Roman archaeological remains in Fontes (at the foothill of Serra da Senhora do Monte, Cortes, Leiria)
– Casa-museu / Centro Cultural João Soares (Cortes)
– On the right riverbank of the Lis river, near Cortes, stand the riverside manor houses. These buildings feature a simple romantic façade, but their majestic size makes them standout when compared to the poorer housing of that time.
– Igreja da Nossa Senhora da Gaiola – Church of Our Lady of the Cage (Cortes main church) (Cortes)
– Capela de Nossa Senhora do Monte – Chapel of Our Lady of the Hill (Senhora do Monte)
– Capela de Santa Bárbara – Saint Barbara Chapel (Cortes)
– Capela da Senora de Lourdes – Chapel of Our Lady of Lourdes (Fontes)
– Capela da Senhora da Saúde – Chapel of Our Lady of Health (Famalicão)
– Capela de Santa Marta – Saint Martha Chapel (Reixida)
– Nicho de N. Sra. do Rosário – Our Lady of the Rosary Niche (Cortes)
GPS: 39º 42′ 02.64″ N;8º 47′ 16.15″0.