Under the guidance of mason masters José and Joaquim da Silva from Juncal, the people started building this church with alms money. Drawing inspiration from erudite baroque, the two masters began building this church in 1732. By 1750, the building’s interior was done and on the outside only the towers and the galilee railing were missing. These would only be finished in the late 19th century thanks to architect Ernesto Korrodi. For many years, pilgrims would come to this place by the thousands, making this shrine a well-sought pilgrimage site. Today, the feast of Our Lord of Miracles takes place in the second weekend of September. Its procession with saint stands is very famous and attracts thousands of visitors from all over Portugal.
Santuário do Senhor Jesus dos Milagres
(6 km – 3.7 miles from Leiria)
GPS: 39º47’23.43 N | 8º47’40.96 W
How to get there: http://bit.ly/1pFRMi0
Every day: 9:00 a.m. – 07:00 p.m.
Phone: 244 851 035