Leiria Cathedral is classified as a national monument and is a sober Mannerist building. Its construction began in 1559 after the St. Martin’ Church was demolished (between 1546 and 1549) and the frontal plaza was created. The Cathedral’s ground plan is in the form of a Latin cross with three aisles and a tripartite apse. It has a three-side cloister next to the apse. The Bell Tower, which was built near Portas do Sol of the town’s wall, is a building not connected to the Cathedral.